You are here:Home » State » Punjab » Bathinda

Week on, no headway in Maur serial blasts

Bathinda: Even after a week, the premier investigation agencies of the country could not yet get any headway in the serial blasts took place at Maur mandi on January 31, which claimed six lives and left many injured.

During the initial investigations, DGP Suresh Arora after visiting Maur Mandi had claimed it to be a case of terror activity targeted at the Congress candidate from Maur Assembly constituency Harminder Singh Jassi, who is a close relative of the Dera Sacha Sauda chief Gurmeet Ram Rahim. Jassi is a z-plus protectee.

As the blast took place just four days before the Vidhan Sabha polls, it created panic in the state. Though Jassi’s vehicle had got damaged he had escaped unhurt but apart from six commoners killing several others had sustained multiple injuries.

According to information, police detained several persons to probe the matter but didn’t show the arrest of any one till Monday. A family from Maur Mandi had accused the Bathinda CIA staff of unnecessarily harassing them by conducting repeated raids at their place.

Two blasts had taken place in an abandoned car with fake number plates from where one pressure cooker carrying lot of splinters and some improvised explosive devices (IEDs) were traced. Police suspected that the culprits were not properly trained as the third blast which was also scheduled couldn’t take place as it was designed.

Finding the case being much complicated, with also suspecting the use of RDX in it, state police had called the bomb squad of Indian Army, state’s forensic experts and also the National Security Guards (NSG) to have a proper probe to reach the culprits.

It is learnt that Bathinda Police had on Saturday sent the engine of the Maruti 800 car to Madhuban Forensic laboratory after initial resistance from the authorities there the police officials managed to hand it over to them detect the clues to reach the owner of the vehicle as the engine number and chassis numbers of the vehicles were mutilated.

Bathinda SSP Swapan Sharma, on his part, said: “We are trying hard to reach the culprits but till date there in no progress.”

To keep yourself update for Bathinda news, follow us on facebook or twitter.